#52craftyprojects · DIY

Week 6/52 – Let’s have some coffee

Hello everyone…

Welcome to my blog. It’s a beautiful day to keep crafting 🙂

I love the smell of freshly ground coffee beans, but I am not much of a coffee drinker. Weird you think? Well, that’s me :). But I do enjoy my green tea in the middle of a busy day, it is quite refreshing. And to accompany my hot beverage, I decided to make a coaster for myself. Actually, I was eager to try working on a mosaic project :p.

It turned out to be quite an easy project, something you could do with kids too as a summer project.

Fotor_145181435647186

For the base, I was contemplating between using a tile or something like MDF or chipboard. Tile would have been a bit too heavy so decided to go with the later and I had these old coasters that I decided to re-purpose. This is part of the same set that I have used in my earlier project here.

First step was to prepare the mosaic chips, I have used an old CD for this. To break the CD, soak it in boiling water for 10 minutes to prevent cracks while cutting, do use a set of strong scissors. You could even hammer it down, but then you will not have control over the size and shape of the chips. Once the chips were cut, I ran them on a sand-paper to remove any sharp edges and then using white glue stuck them onto the coaster base.

Fotor_145181431730550

Notice how beautiful the reflective colours are. The next step was to fill in the gaps. I made a paste of flour, white glue, acrylic colour and water and applied it all over. I realised that  doing it my hand was the best and the most fun way to go, making sure I covered all nooks and corners in between the chips. Once done I ran a spatula over it to make the surface even and smooth.

The next step and the more time consuming one, was to clean the chips. (I forgot to take a picture of this step). When the coaster was dry to touch, using a damp soft cloth, I starting wiping off the paste from the chips. By the time I was half way done, I realised using a thinner or a nail polish remover would be faster. Did that and cleaned the surface completely. The project was complete at this stage, but the shine and jazz was a bit too much for my taste and to use at a work place, so I decided to dull it a bit using a transparent paint over the chips.

Once it was completely dry, sealed it with varnish.

Fotor_145181435647186

And now I have another reason to enjoy my green tea 🙂

Fotor_145188199286352

Thank you for stopping by.

Cheers

xx

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s